Protecting Your Health Information
At Brightshores Health System (Brightshores), we treat your personal health information with respect and sensitivity. We do so in accordance with the Ontario Personal Health Information Protection Act and all other applicable laws.
The people at Brightshores who provide and support your care are allowed to see your health information. This group could include doctors, nurses, technicians, therapists, spiritual care providers and other health professionals. Students may also work with your health care team under the guidance of qualified teachers.
Brightshores Privacy Office
How is my health information used?
- To provide you with healthcare
- To comply with legal and regulatory requirements
- To make our health services more effective and efficient, eg.
- conduct risk management activities
- conduct quality improvement initiatives (patient satisfaction in surveys)
- compile statistics
Who does Brightshores share my personal health information with?
- A person you choose – your next-of-kin (family member) or legal representative with your express consent
- Other health-care providers as part of your care
- Health regulatory agencies (for example, agencies that track wait times)
- Public authorities as permitted and required by law (for example, Public health to track infections)
- Government agencies (for example, the Workplace Safety & Insurance Board), or if you give your consent, your private insurer to get payment for your treatment or care
Unless you tell us not to, we may also disclose your information to:
- Visitors or callers so they can reach you in the hospital.
- Connect you with a spiritual care provider who may visit you in the hospital.
- Share your information with the Brightshores hospital Foundations.
Can I see my record of personal health information?
We respect your right to see your health record. If you wish to do so, please call the Release of Information line at 519-376-2121, ext. 2259.
Alternatively, the platform ConnectMyHealth can be used to gain regular access of personal medical records. For assistance with ConnectMyHealth please call 1-833-824-0265 or email email@example.com.