Brightshores Privacy Office 

At Brightshores Health System, we treat your personal health information with respect and sensitivity. We do so in accordance with the Ontario Personal Health Information Protection Act – Personal Health Information Protection Act, 2004, S.O. 2004, c. 3, Sched. A ( – and all other applicable laws.

1800 8th St E, Owen Sound, ON, N4K 6M9 

519-376-2121 Ext 1440 

Hours of Operation 

Monday to Friday 

8:00 AM – 4:00 PM

Frequently Asked Questions 

How is my health information used?

  • To provide you with healthcare
  • To comply with legal and regulatory requirements
  • To make our health services more effective and efficient

Who does Brightshores share my personal health information with?

  • A person you choose – your next-of-kin (family member) or legal representative with your express consent
  • Other health-care providers as part of your care
  • Health regulatory agencies (for example, agencies that track wait times)
  • Public authorities as permitted and required by law (for example, Public Health to track infections)
  • Government agencies (for example, the Workplace Safety & Insurance Board), or if you give your consent, your private insurer to get payment for your treatment or care

How do I request a death certificate? 

The hospital does not issue death certificates. A Medical Certificate of Death is completed by the hospital and is sent to the funeral home with the deceased. A Statement of Death is completed at the funeral home and the death is registered with the Office of the Registrar General at Service Ontario. To obtain a death certificate, please contact Service Ontario at 1-800-461-2156 or through the Service Ontario website.

How do I request a birth certificate? 

The hospital does not issue birth certificates. After a birth, the hospital or midwife provides a Statement of Live Birth. This is a permanent identity record and it is needed to apply for a birth certificate from Service Ontario. To obtain a birth certificate, please contact Service Ontario at 1-800-461-2156 or visit the Service Ontario website. Brightshores Health System  does not issue birth certificates. After birth, the hospital or midwife provides a Statement of Live Birth. You need this permanent identity record when you apply for a birth certificate.

How do I get a health card? 

The hospital does not issue health cards. More information on how to apply for OHIP can be found at

Is there a cost to have the information sent to me? What is the response time?

Yes There is an administrative fee associated with a request to  obtain a photocopy of your health record. If you’re requesting a photocopy of your health record, the administrative fee is $33.90 ($30.00 + HST) for 20 pages + $0.25 (+HST) for each additional page. There is no fee for circle of care requests (when records go directly from one health care provider to another).

In accordance with (PHIPA), it can take up to 30 days to process a request.

PHIPA Section 54.(2) Time for response

(2) Subject to subsection (3), the health information custodian shall give the response required by clause (1) (a), (b), (c) or (d) as soon as possible in the circumstances but no later than 30 days after receiving the request.  2004, c.3, Sched. A, s.54 (2).

Access to mental health information requires prior approval from the patient’s treating psychiatrist or the Chief of Psychiatry.

How do I submit a request for legal or insurance purposes? 

Please submit a written request to Health Information department. An original consent is required before your Health Record can be released to lawyers or Insurance companies. There is a fee associated with this service.

How do I request the records of a deceased patient? 

To release the personal health information of a deceased patient, consent is required from the executor of the estate. Proof (a copy of first page where it names the executor and last page where the patient/deceased signed the Will) will need to be submitted along with a completed consent form. If no Will exists, the highest-ranking Next of Kin who is available, capable and willing to make these decisions will be required to sign the consent form. Otherwise, a Certificate of Appointment of Estate Trustee is required.

How do I make a correction to my health record? 

If you believe that your health record contains inaccurate information or is incomplete, it is your right, under the Ontario’s Health Privacy law – The Personal Health Information Protection Act (PHIPA) to request corrections to your health record.

In order to make a correction to your record, please fill out the Health Information Department Request for Correction To Your Personal Health Information (.pdf) form, clearly outlining what you are requesting to have corrected.

Request to Correct/Amend Health Information Form 

How do I request medical images?

Brightshores Health System uses PocketHealth to share patient’s medical imaging records with them. Patients can also call our Film Library. If you require a copy of your image results, please call 519-372-3927.